Monday, April 9, 2012

moving to a school in the usa and i am from australia? any tips.


moving to a school in the usa and i am from australia? any tips?
ok, so im moving to the USA and im going to be starting school over there, ive had my schooling life in australia, i am a 16 year old moving next week. I just need tips on what the schools are like over there and how to fit in well as it will probably be a big culture shock, for example are there like popular groups, and all that? because whereas australia is just laid back, like just watching these american shows gives an influence of american schools which i think are made up of different catergories like, the popular kids, the normal kids, the nerds, and the losers , just wondering what schools in america are like.
Sydney - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
OI mate, why the fock would you do that, the outback's the greatest focking place on the planet mate. Enjoy eating beef alligator steaks instead of croc steaks and eating bison steaks in place of 'roo steaks mate. Cheers, mate
2 :
Do you have any choice in where you're going? I think, generally speaking, the west coast is more laid back than the east coast. The midwest is very conservative. The south, a bit different, but Florida is not like the other southern states since so many people move there from different parts of the country. So east coast, south, midwest, south west, and north west are very different climates and cultures. I went to school in the Northwest and now live in the Northwest and I just love it. I think your list of typical groups is pretty accurate. I started high school after moving to a new state so I did not know anyone and they all grew up together. So it was very hard for me to fit in. At first, I tried to change myself to fit in with them. The standard uniform for guys at that time was corduroy pants and long sleeve plaid shirt. So I did that until one day I walked up to the group of cool people and after one of their friends walked away to class, someone made a comment about him that just cut him down to ribbons and they all laughed. I figured, if that's how you treat your friends I don't need your friendship. So I spent the rest of that year alone and frustrated. During our orientation, someone said that joining a club or a sport would be a good way to meet people. So, much to my surprise, I joined the cross country running team (I was not too interested in football, baseball, or soccer). And I did get to know those guys and pretty quickly found myself part of a good group of people. So that really helped. The other thing that surprised me was that this tall, goofy, red headed kid turned out to be not such a strange person after we talked a bit. I found that he had a similar background and the same interests as I did. So we started hanging out my sophomore year and eventually became best friends. So, I learned to not judge a book by its cover and give people a chance. I had a similar experience in college with a guy I thought was the supreme leader of the party animals but turned out we had very similar views on life and practically the same hopes and dreams for the future. I think it is also fair to say this, there are usually enough groups (unless you move to a small town) that you will find one (or two) that you fit in well with. I think kids these days (I am the parent of a 14, 16, and 19 year old) are more confident in themselves and more in tune with their identity. I think they are less prone to follow a single crowd and more prone to form a group that fits them. So that provides a lot of opportunity for kids of all types to be themselves. I'll also repeat the advice I received, join a sport or club that interests you. That will be the easiest way to find people who share your interests. You can take heart at least in this: everyone will LOVE your Aussie accent! Over the past 10 years or so sports shows and game shows have brought in Aussies and British commentators and hosts because their accents are so appealing to Americans. For some reason, we think they sound really cool, we get a kick out of the funny words you people have, and we just love hearing that voice. So I bet that, once you start talking, you will attract people who want to listen to you. And then, I'm sure good relationships will follow. Good luck!
3 :
Hated, listen, short and sweet, be yourself, keep your nose clean and you will fit in okay with the system in place over this side of the world. Over this side of the world the kids are more laid back. Just remember, your going to school to learn, not be a socialite. With your accent you will pick up loads of friends, but be choosy who.
Read more discussion :