Saturday, August 25, 2012

Do you think Australia is a Racist country


Do you think Australia is a Racist country?
I'm from an Asian background and go to High School in Australia. My friends and I have been bullied on numerous occasions and some teachers treat us unfairly. I have an Asian background and is currently attending High School in Australia. My friends and I have been teased for cultural and racial reasons even though we speak fluent English and we basically are no different to them apart from apperance. Some teachers also seem to treat us unfairly. Recently there were some racially motivated bashings toward Indian students and the former CEO of Telstra calls Australia a racist and a backwards country.
Other - Cultures & Groups - 18 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes very racist
2 :
Countries aren't racist, people are. And no, most Australians aren't racist. Don't judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a few.
3 :
This is the 7th question I've encountered asking if Australians are racist, and I think most of them are indeed racist.
4 :
Not really. Everyone at school gets bullied at one point. And those people who are giving you unfair treatment DO NOT represent the entire nation of Australia, they only represent themselves and their upbringings, so don't think like that. Bear in mind that every single country in the world was or is racist to some extent, and Australia is much better and more tolerant than many countries in Europe and the US. I'm from the Middle East, been living in Australia for the past three years, I have NOT encountered any serious racists, I only met two people who jokingly were racist, but I didn't take personally cos I know they meant well.
5 :
I am not australian. but I do treat asians base on their back grounds, I think highly of S.Koreans, Taiwanese and Japanese, but other asians besides that, I consider them inferior. thats all I can say
6 :
One morning I was waiting outside an Avis rent-a-car location before it opened its doors to serve its clients.as I was waiting,a man in need of a car like me showed up and stood there.I didn't say anything until he started a conversation then we started to talk.he was from down under and was very friendly to me at all times.I've heard stories about Aussies' dislike for Asians,but not every Aussie think the same way.
7 :
I don't know- I've never been to Australia, but I've heard a lot about the racism. A friend of mine who is black and married an Australian woman had planned to move there with her, but decided it was better to remain in the U.S. after the negative experiences he and his wife had based on his being black.
8 :
yes australia hates any one with brown skin.. my friend is mixed race(black/white) and she moved there 2 years ago she seems to get on very fine though.
9 :
can be but im serb and migrated here at a young age
10 :
Hi there, Wow, I haven't seen this question for, oh I don't know, 12 hours or so. I was wondering what happened! Anyway, I'm Australian and I was bullied at school too. I was slim, pretty, blonde, loads of boys liked me and I achieved well at school and there was basically no names that I could really be called, so people just used to call me s lut and b itch. It happens to everyone at school at some point. And for everyone else, after living in Australia for 23 years I have honestly never met anyone there who is a serious racist. Find something new to talk about. -P
11 :
I've never been there but from what I've heard it is very racist.Many white racists from my country emigrate there because they are unhappy with them being the minority and they seem happy in Australia so I'm guessing it is
12 :
Yes. I do.
13 :
Most of the Australians in here are lying if they say Australia is not racist. Thing is, that the people there are racist but they just don't know it, that is the most dangerous form of racism. I was in India one time and unfortunately we get many Australian visitors there, so one lady walks into this store and takes her time to ask me: "Why do you people treat your women so bad?" After she said this, 2 American women and 1 Japanese women froze in their tracks and dropped all that they were holding. One of the American women came up to me and asked me if I was okay and she said to her friend that it was wrong for the Australian girl to do what she did. Worst part is that I was 14 at the time. Shows you the bigotry in that country. Yes, Australia is indeed racist and indeed a stupid country.
14 :
Yeah probably they are. But then again if an Australian/European would study in Asia country he/she might get bullied too.
15 :
Yes in some ways Australia is a more racist country, as in Australia, people still throw around racial slurs. But, hey why do you care about Racism anyway. You belong to the race of the smartest people in the world!!
16 :
Sandy Gifford, a La Trobe University professor, said that in her opinion Australia is a racist society and racism runs deep in the country. She said, "Racism in Australia is pervasive, part of the fabric of everyday life and normalised in ways that render it invisible and make it one of the strongest forms of structural violence
17 :
No that country is not racist you and your friends may be razzed and are taking it the wrong way. If they are being harsh get out of that school or rat them out. Australia is not at all racist, I've been there many times and all the people there were kind. You must have offended them somehow and now are blaming a whole country for a few people's action towards your offensive remarks.
18 :
Australians don't like Asians because they're the only minority there to hate on. If blacks and Hispanics were visible in Australia, they'd hate them too. That's how it is anywhere. Just ignore it.
Read more discussion :